Friday, October 9, 2009

Charlotte Parker is joining the Costa Rica and Nicaragua Autumn 2009 expedition and received the Raleigh Graduate Bursary Award

I decided I wanted to do one sponsored event to raise the majority of my funds for Raleigh, rather than several events and risk annoying people by nagging them to sponsor me several times. I chose to do an indoor, gym based ‘triathlon’. This involved me running 5k, cycling 17.5k and swimming 2.5k (100 lengths) which at 25k is roughly 10% of the distance that will be covered on the trek phase of the expedition. I asked friends and family to sponsor me, as well as getting family members to take round sponsor forms to their place of work, and altogether I managed to raise about £500 just from this one event. I also baked cakes to give out whilst asking people to sponsor me as I found that this made people a lot more inclined to give money!

I have also gathered together old books and DVDs to sell on Ebay or Amazon, but this was one of the challenges of fundraising – with such little time to raise the funds it was hard to sell anything, but the plan is to continue selling the items after I return from the expedition, to replace the savings that I have had to use for things such as kit and vaccinations.

Another challenge was writing to companies, many explained that due to the current economic downturn they could not afford to donate any money – some explained that they have already given large donations to various charities this year.

I found that the website http://www.justgiving.com/ was invaluable for persuading my old university friends who I no longer see regularly to donate to my cause, it gave me a chance to explain why I was raising money, as some initially thought they would be giving money for me to go on an extended holiday.

1 comment:

  1. As always an excellent posting.The
    way you write is awesome.Thanks. Adding more information will be more useful.

    Bathmate

    ReplyDelete